Saturday, November 25, 2023

Welcome to our Dragonlance Campaign
The Cataclysm & The War of the Lance
The current year for our homebrewed Dragonlance campaign is set during 381AC.
Inspired By Trampas Whiteman

Hello everyone. The old man is back to ramble one last time. I have a few folks that actually follow my gaming blogs so I figured it might be time to do a post and give an update on everything. Yes, I know ... I've been gone for a while and for that I am sorry but I've had a "lot" of various medical problems since last November that I will not get into right now but I am on the mend thankfully so I thought I would dive into something to suck up some of my free time. During this downtime a few things have changed, not by chance of course, but it's just been one speed bump after another. This will all be covered in a new post shortly.

This campaign idea was thought up several years ago but one thing after another came up and delays just kept slowing us down. We had a solid six player group going but one got married and went *poof*, another got a new job which took him out of state and the third just dropped but I have retained my oldesat core three players that have been with me from the start. Well, as you all know, Covid hit and that shut us down for close to 18 months.

Last year my father caught Covid and we almost lost him but I am happy to say he is doing fine now. The on top of all that I had some pretty serious medical problems kick in which I am pleased to say . . . I am on the road to a full recovery. It still might be April or May of 2023 before I am set to fire this thing off. So, yea . . . it's been a rough last couple of years for us.

During all of this I had decided I was going to take a break from Dungeons & Dragons just to take a break from it all. I can say first hand, it is super hard staying motivated with gaming when you've had a couple of years like we have all had but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and the excitement has started to kick in.

Now on to the campaign description. I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I wanted to do with this campaign and one thing I knew for sure is when myself and my group started back playing I was going to give them the best campaign I could create. I ended up deciding to go with the Dragonlance campaign since it pretty much works perfectly with the Old-School Essentials game system. The decision was made that we leave 5th edition. I'll make a new post covering this decision later but just know a lot of things has happened with the current state of Dungeons and Dragons which has left a bad taste in our mouths and it's time for a change.

This campaign is a long time in the making because for a long time I simply did not know what campaign setting I wanted to run my games in and trust me, it was a hard decision since I had been out of the game for so many years. In the end I decided the world of Krynn was where I would return to since it is the setting that I had lived in since the beginning of my D&D days way back when it first released. I am sure this will be a challenge to make sure non of the canon story is stepped on.

I'll be starting this campaign off with a short one-shot adventure since I will be starting off with just three players . . . "I hope". It will be live recorded and then edited and finally it will be uploaded to our tabletop Youtube channel. This one-shot session will be used as a recruitment tool to find two additional players to round our group off at four players "or at least that is what we hope happens". It has been around twenty years since I ran any type of game for a group of players so I figure things will be a little rough around the edges in the beginning but will smooth out over time.

One of the main reasons that I chose the Dragonlance setting was because out of all of the campaign settings that are available this one just seems the most down to earth high fantasy setting from them all. It was created back when people actually had love for the game. People weren't worried about what color skin the players had or making sure you had . . . ugh before I get on a long drug out rant I'll just say, classic D&D was and "is" the purest form of D&D and I do not want to leave it. One thing that does bother me about Dragonlance is . . . no orcs, no drow, not really known for having epic dungeon crawls . . . it also has very few adventures published for this setting that don't rinse/repeat the Dragonlance novels so this will be a challenge with the amount of homebrewing I see ahead of me plus having to be super careful not to step on any established lore, history or stories from the novels.

Our newest update is we had planned to start with three players but I had to drop two of them due to inactiveness. Our remaining player Joe, will be playing a Human Ranger - we will be looking for three brand new players in the near future . . . but it would be nice if my two players that got dropped would step up and fix things and return to the fold, we will see but one thing is certain, "we are all up in classic this time around". At this time this campaign will be ran as an online digital game. We eventually want to start a campaign that will be around a live table but that is still being looked at simply because I've had Covid twice now and it will never go away. The second time I had Covid it damned near killed me "and I'm not even joking about this", so you can understand the reasoning behind being not sure about doing live games in the future. Anyways, more to come shortly . . . thanks for taking the time to stop by our Dragonlance campaign blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment